Born 1964 Philomath, OR. Lives and works in Upstate New York, USA.
2012 POLLOCK-KRASNER FOUNDATION, Grant
2011 GOTTLIEB FOUNDATION, Individual Support Grant
2009 NEW YORK FOUNDATION for the ARTS, S.O.S. Grant
2018 Alfstad& Contemporary, "Heather Hutchison; Forever Changes" Sarasota, FL
2017 Louis Stern Fine Art, "Heather Hutchison; GLOWING" Los Angeles, CA
2016 Winston Wachter Fine Art, "Heather Hutchison; What I Learned From the Sky" New York, NY
2015 Lesley Heller Workspace, "InThis Light; Stuart Arends, Heather Hutchison, Maria Walker" New York, NY
2014 Cross Contemporary Art, "Heather Hutchison; Here Now," Saugerties, NY
WFG Gallery, "50/50; Heather Hutchison / Mark Thomas Kanter" Woodstock, NY
2013 Imogen Holloway Gallery, “Occupied Space”, Saugerties, NY (Installation)
2012 Imogen Holloway Gallery, "Hot Flash", Saugerties, NY (Installation)
2011 WFG Gallery, "Heather Hutchison, Studies in Light, 1991-2011" Woodstock, NY
2010 Conrad Wilde Gallery , "Radiance: Light, Space, Perception; Heather Hutchison, Carrie Seid, Lori Mar" Tucson, AZ
2009 Samuel Dorsky Museum, "Dissolution", New Paltz, NY (Installation)
SUNY, Muroff Kotler Visual Arts Gallery, "Heather Hutchison & Mark Thomas Kanter; Fighting, Dancing & Standing Still"
2008 Spheris Gallery, "Heather Hutchison / Gary Haven Smith", Hanover, NH
2007 Kleinert James Arts Center, "Black and Light", Woodstock, NY (Installation)
2006 Margaret Thatcher Projects, "Heather Hutchison; Night as Clear as Day" New York, NY
2003 Margaret Thatcher Projects, "Heather Hutchison; Sheer Painting", New York, NY
1997 Knoedler Gallery, "Invitational; Deborah Ascheim, John Evans, Heather Hutchison, Mary Judge", New York, NY
Galerie Extra Moenia, “Heather Hutchison, Paul Manes, Roberto Pietrosanti,” Todi, Italy
Nohra Haime Gallery, "Heather Hutchison; Daily Thoughts for Daily Needs" New York, NY
1994 Nohra Haime Gallery, "Heather Hutchison; Translucid Passages", New York, NY
1993 Patricia Shea Gallery, "Heather Hutchison; Bold as Love", Los Angeles, CA
Nohra Haime Gallery, “Heather Hutchison/ Susana-Jaime Mena”, New York, NY
Tavelli Gallery, “Larry Bell/ Heather Hutchison,” Aspen, CO
1992 Shea & Bornstein Gallery, "Heather Hutchison, Cross-Currents", LA, CA
1991 Jamison Thomas Gallery, "Heather Hutchison; Five Easy Pieces", New York, NY
Tom Tavelli Gallery, “Three Women,” Aspen,CO
1990 Jamison Thomas Gallery, "Heather Hutchison;The Density Series" New York, NY
1989 Bess Cutler Gallery, "Heather Hutchison", New York, NY
Select Group Exhibits
2016 The Painter's Gallery, "Luminance", Fleischmanns, NY
Brick Gallery, "Cowgirls", Catskill, NY
2015 Jeffrey Thomas Fine Art, "Sum of the Parts", Portland, OR
CHHS Projects, "Excavate", Widow Jane Mine, Stone Ridge, NY, Curator Laura Johansen
Sideshow Gallery, "Sideshow Nation; Thru the Rabbithole", Brooklyn, NY
2014 An Exhibition in Print "Encaustic Works: nuance", Curated by Michelle Stuart
Aaron Payne Fine Art, "Summer Selections 2014", Santa Fe, NM
Cross Contemporary Art, "Collections", Saugerties, NY, Curator Jen Dragon
Imogene Holloway Gallery, "From the Vault", Saugerties, NY
Sideshow Gallery, "Sideshow Nation; The Alamo", Williamsburg, NY
2013 Nohra Haime Gallery, "Actions or Interventions", New York, NY
art space 64@ Memorial Sloan-Kettering, “Natural Elements”, Curator Holly Shen Chaves
Sideshow Gallery, “Sideshow Nation”, Williamsburg, NY. Curator Rich Timperio
WFG Gallery, “These Animals are Driving me to Abstraction”, Woodstock, NY
2012 Imogene Holloway Gallery,“Zoom In”, Saugerties, NY. Curator Diane Dwyer
Kleinert-James Art Center, “The Sky is Falling”, Woodstock, NY. Curator Alan Baer
2011 McKenzie Gallery, "Plane Speaking", New York, NY. Curator Valerie McKenzie
College of the Canyons Gallery, "Obsessive/ Reductive", Santa Clarita, CA
Sideshow Gallery, "It's All Good (Apocolypse Now)", Brooklyn, NY. Curator Rich Timperio
Brik Gallery, "18+1". Catskill, NY
KTD Monastery, "Living Here", Woodstock, NY. Curator Cate Woodruff
2010 Nohra Haime Gallery, "Metamorphosis", New York, NY
Sideshow, "It's a Wonderful 10th", Brooklyn, NY. Curator Richard Timperio
2009 Samuel Dorsky Museum of Art, SUNY, "ECOTONES AND TRANSITION ZONES", New Paltz, NY. Curator Brian Wallace
Nohra Haime Gallery, "Intangible Mood", New York, NY
Nohra Haime Gallery, "Layered/ Boxed", New York, NY
Sideshow, "It's a Wonderful Life", Brooklyn, NY. Curator Richard Timperio
2008 33 Bond Gallery, "The Idea of Nature", New York, NY. Curator Bill Weiss
Pentimente Gallery, " Summer Journeys, Summer Dreams," Philadelphia, PA.
The Hogar Collection, "Obsessive/ Reductive," Brooklyn, NY. Curator Peter Barrett
Kleinert James Art Center, Woodstock Byrdcliffe Guild, "Blue", Woodstock, NY. Curator Portia Munson
The Fisher Studio at Bard College," Regarding Global Warming and Climate Change," Anandale-on-Hudson, NY.
Margaret Thatcher Projects, “Re-Mix,” New York, NY
Sideshow, "Peace," Brooklyn, NY. Curator Richard Timperio
2007 Marcia Wood Gallery, "Luxe, Calme, et Volupté," Atlanta, GA. Curator Joanne Mattera
Sideshow, "War is Over Again," Brooklyn, NY
2006 Winston Wachter Fine Art, "Please Do Not Touch," New York, NY.
Brik Gallery, "Cowgirls of The Hudson Valley," Catskill, NY
Winston Wachter Fine Art, “Lights,” Seattle, WA
Kleinert-James Art Center, “7+14,” Woodstock, NY
2005 Samuel Dorsky Museum of Art, SUNY New Paltz,, NY.Curator Laura Moriarty
Gavin Brown Enterprises, Passerby, “Hope”, New York, NY
The Center for Curatorial Studies at Bard College, “This is not an archive. This must be the place,” Annandale-on Hudson, NY.
2002 Margaret Thatcher Projects, “Breathing Room,” New York, NY
Kenise Barnes Fine Art, “Ordinate/Coordinate,” Larchmont, NY
2000 Knoxville Museum of Art, “Waxing Poetic: Encaustic Art in America,” Knoxville, TN. Curator Gail Stavitsky
Kenise Barnes Fine Art, “Melting Pot,” Larchmont, NY
1999 Otis College, “Transparent Facade“ Los Angeles, CA. Curator Fran Siegel
The Montclair Art Museum, “Waxing Poetic: Encaustic Art in America,” Montclair, NJ. Curator Gail Stavitsky
University of Rhode Island Fine Arts Center, “Gridlock, Concerning the Grid in Contemporary Art,” Kingston, RI.
1998 Marymount Manhattan College Gallery, “Get Close, “ New York, NY
Dumbo Arts Center, “Section 33,” Brooklyn, NY. Curator Joy Glidden
Sideshow Gallery Inc., “Regatta 98 (Miraculously Sublime)”, Brooklyn, NY
The Work Space, “Transparent Facade,” New York, NY. Curator Fran Siegel
1997 Museo d’Arte Contemporanea Pallazzo Penna, “New York Next Generation,”Perugia,Italy. Curator Barbara Rose
Condeso-Lawler Gallery, “Peeling a Grape,” New York, NY. Curator Margaret Thatcher
1995 The Brooklyn Museum, “Permanent Collection Exhibition,” Brooklyn,NY
The Corcoran Gallery of Art, 44th Biennial Exhibition of Contemporary American Painting, “Painting Outside Painting,”
Washington, DC. Curator Teri Sultan
Elga Wimmer Gallery, “Minimal: Optimal,” Part 1 New York, NY
Greystone Gallery, “Exemplary Images,” San Francisco, CA
Nohra Haime Gallery, “Wax,” New York, NY
The Workspace, “Down The Garden Path,” New York, NY. Curator Lesley Heller
1994 Patrice Landau Gallery, "Burning!", New York, NY
Art Miami, Nohra Haime Gallery, New York, NY
1993 Elga Wimmer Gallery, “As Above, So Below,” New York, NY
Nohra Haime Gallery, “Intuitive Perceptions,” New York, NY
Art Miami, Nohra Haime Gallery, New York, NY
The Art Show, ADAA, , Nohra Haime Gallery, New York, NY
FIAC, Paris, France. Nohra Haime Gallery, New York, NY
1992 Elga Wimmer Gallery,“Transparency and Shape,” NY, NY. Curator Christopher French
Sunrise Museum, “New York Selections,” Charlestown, West Virginia
Chicago International Art Expo 1992, Jamison Thomas Gallery, New York, NY
Jamison Thomas Gallery, “Cross-Currents,” Portland, OR
1991 Atlanta Arts Festival, “Current Minimalist,” Atlanta, GA
HOME for Contemporary Theatre, “Home for June,” New York, NY. Curator Eric Oppenheim
Jamison Thomas Gallery, “Compulsion,” New York, NY. Curator Jeffrey Thomas
L.A. Art Fair, Jamison Thomas Gallery, New York, NY
Jamison Thomas Gallery, “Intimate Relations,” New York, NY
Chicago International Art Fair, Jamison Thomas Gallery, New York, NY
1990 Nohra Haime Gallery, “Homage to the Square,” New York, NY
Jamison Thomas Gallery "New Work by Gallery Artists", New York, NY
L.A. Art Fair, Jamison Thomas Gallery, New York, NY
1989 Jamison Thomas Gallery, “Art of the Contemporary Triptych,” New York, NY
Bess Cutler Gallery, "December Group Show," New York, NY
H.B.O. Inc. Headquarters, "Forms and Variations," New York, NY
- PIETRO BELLASI. "New Abstraction and Abstract Society," TEMA CELESTE, Jan.-March,1992, illustrated.
- MEREDITH BERGMANN. "Reviews: Heather Hutchison," THE NEW YORK REVIEW OF ART, May 1994.
- SARA CORONA. “I Magnifici 9 New York. L’arte diventa più indipendente”, Art Tribune, http://www.artribune.com/2013/07/i-magnifici-9-new-york-larte-diventa-piu-indipendente/, July 12, 2013
- MAIA DAMIANOVIC. "Painting Outside Painting", THE CORCORAN GALLERY OF ART, Dec. 1995.
- Exhibition catalog illustrated.
- BRIAN EDMONDS. “Exhibition-Robert Otto Epstein, Joy Taylor, and Heather Hutchison @Imogen Holloway Gallery” Curating Contemporary, July 6, 2013.
- AMY ESHOO. 560 BROADWAY, A NEW YORK DRAWING COLLECTION at WORK, 1991-2006, (2008) Yale University Press.
- PETER FRANK. "Transparent Facade," LA WEEKLY, October, 1999.
- CHRISTOPHER FRENCH. "Transparency & Shape," ELGA WIMMER GALLERY, 1992.
- exhibition catalog.
- JOHNATHON GOODMAN. "Painting Outside Painting (Exhibition review)" ART NEWS. April 1996.
- DIEDRE STEIN-GREBEN. "Exhibition Review," ART NEWS, December 1997.
- ELANOR HEARTNEY. "Exhibition review," ART NEWS, December 1990 illustrated.
- KEN JOHNSON. "Art in Review," THE NEW YORK TIMES, August 14, 1998.
- KEN JOHNSON. "Weekend, Art in Review," THE NEW YORK TIMES March 14, 2003.
- CHRIS JOY & ZACHARY KEETING. “Heather Hutchison: Studio Visit”, Gorky’s Granddaughter, http://www.gorkysgranddaughter.com/2012/04/heather-hutchison-feb-2012.html February, 2012.
- CHRISTOPHER KNIGHT. "Light & Space Pieces-Coming From New York?," LOS ANGELES TIMES, Sept. 16, 1999.
- CLAIRE LAMBE. "Hutchison & Kanter: 100%", Roll Magazine online,
- http://www.rollmagazine.com/hutchison-kanter-100/ September, 2014.
- JO ANN LEWIS. "Painting Outside the Lines," THE WASHINGTON POST,1995. illus.
- JOANNE MATTERA. The Art of Encaustic Painting (2001) pp 6,10,11,76,78,79,104,107,120. illustrated. Watson-Gupthill.
- JOANNE MATTERA “Its a Plane,” http://joannemattera.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-01-19T01%3A00%3A00-05%3A00. January 13, 2011
- CINDY MOORE. "Capturing the Beast in the Beauty," NY ARTS, 2006, illustrated.
- ROBERT MORGAN. "Three New York Reviews," LUSTY MOVER, Fall 1992.
- VALERY OISTEANU. "Invitational '97," NY ARTS MAGAZINE,1997 illustrated.
- SAUL OSTROW. "History Is Now," THE NEW ART EXAMINER, March 1996.
- GEORGE QUASHA. "boxed light bodies," Margaret Thatcher Projects, January 2006, exhibition essay.
- LISSA RANKIN. Encaustic Art (2010) pp 66,67. illustrated. Random House.
- CHARLES A. RILEY II. THE SAINTS OF MODERN ART: THE ASCETIC IDEAL IN CONTEMPORARY PAINTING, SCULPTURE, ARCHITECTURE,DANCE,MUSIC, LITERATURE, and PHILOSOPHY, (May 1998) pp. 115-116, 148. Univ. Press of New England.
- BARBARA ROSE. "New York, New Generation" PALLAZO PENNA, Perugia, Italy. exhibition catalog. 1997. illustrated.
- SUE SCOTT. "Daily Thoughts for Daily Needs," NOHRA HAIME GALLERY, 1995. exhibition catalogue. illustrated.
- JOANNA SHAW-EAGLE. "Painting Beyond Traditional Limits," THE WASHINGTON TIMES,1995.
- PETER SLATIN. "Intuitive Perception " ARTNEWS, May 1993, pp. 141. illustrated.
- PAUL SMART.“Encaustic Comments,” The Woodstock Times, November 13, 2003 p.10
- PAUL SMART."Through a Plexiglas, Brightly", The Woodstock Times, February 16, 2006 , p.8. illustrated.
- PAUL SMART. "The Sky is Falling", The Woodstock Times, October 18, 2012 , p.26.
- VIOLET SNOW. "Looking Up", The Woodstock Times, June 30, 2016, pp 22-23. illustrated
- GAIL STAVITSKY. "Waxing Poetic (Encaustic Art in America,)" MONTCLAIR ART MUSEUM, pp.47-48. exhibition catalog. illustrated.
- DEIDRE STEIN. "Heather Hutchison Gravity and Light," ARTNEWS, April 1994, pp.101-102. illustrated.
- MICHELLE STUART. "Encaustic Works: nuance", pp.3,5,7,116-120 illustrated. R&F Paints. (January 1, 2014)
- TERRIE SULTAN. "The Rapture of Materiality," THE CORCORAN GALLERY OF ART BIENNIAL EXHIBITION OF AMERICAN PAINTING, December 1995, pp.18-23. exhibition catalog. illustrated.
- JUDITH TOLNICK. "Unlocking the Grid," UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND, 1999.
- REGAN UPSHAW. "New York Review," ART IN AMERICA, July 1994, p. 98. illustrated.
- LILY WEI. "Transparent Facade: From New York to Los Angeles," OTIS COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN, 1999, exhibition catalog. illustrated.
- JEFF WRIGHT. “Inviting Directions, Four Points at Knoedler & Co.,” Cover, 1997, Volume 11, #5, pp. 14–15.
- WILLIAM ZIMMER. "Wax as Medium and Message," THE NEW YORK TIMES, June 6, 1999.
- The Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
- The Hammer Museum, Los Angeles, CA
- The Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn, NY
- Birmingham Museum of Art, Birmingham, AL
- Harvard Business School, Schwartz Art Collection, Boston, MA
- Art in Embassies, Beijing, China
- Arkansas Art Center, Little Rock, A
- Avampato Discovery Museum, Charlestown, West Virginia
- SAP America, Wayne, PA
- Readers Digest, Pleasantville, NY
- Brooklyn Union Gas, Brooklyn, NY
- Bliss Art, Chicago, IL
- IDS Financial Services, Minneapollis, MN
- Cooper Fund, Chicago, ILL
- Cantor-Fitzgerald, New York, NY